[Marxism] How to Attract Female Engineers

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Mon Apr 27 22:47:34 MDT 2015

On 04/27/2015 07:46 PM, Jim Farmelant via Marxism wrote:
> US government defense labs hired many recent female college graduates with math or science degrees to perform the laborious computations that were required for such things a compiling artillery tables and such. Back in those days the people who performed such computations were called "computers.
Yes, exactly. My great-uncle Donald was the mathematician in charge of
the computing group for the theoretical division of the Manhattan
Project. Under him were a group of women who did the grunt work. Some of
them were scientists wives, according to the book cited, among other
things,"they work better and are cheaper."

Today of course this work can be done in India and other places that are
" cheaper." Some things never change under capitalism.

Jon Flanders

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ys0N4rFgt6UC&pg=PA99&lpg=PA99&dq=donald+flanders+manhattan+project&source=bl&ots=Kr_34L9Sdv&sig=WIRievDupWm5lmTyVdMpcsZS7c0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_A4_VYrmGsbLsAS8qoGYBQ&ved=0CDgQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=donald%20flanders%20manhattan%20project&f=false