[Marxism] New on Redline blog

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 00:43:00 MDT 2015

Over the past week, we've been concentrating on demystifying all the
propaganda around Anzac Day.

New features pieces on the blog include:
Labour movement historian Jared Davidson on the response by working class
activists to militarism and class exploitation in NZ, 1905-1925:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/26/opposing-war-abroad-fighting-the-class-war-at-home-radical-workers-in-new-zealand-1905-1925/

The absurdity and obscenity of Gallipoli as seen through the eyes of three
NZ writers:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/the-absurdity-and-obscenity-of-gallipoli-three-new-zealand-writers-accounts/

Tom O'Lincoln looks at the crap existence that confronted homecoming WW1
soldiers in Australia:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/after-world-war-1-the-horrors-of-peace-at-home-australia/

Australian cops shut down Aboriginal Anzac Day march:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/australian-cops-shut-down-aboriginal-anzac-day-march/

Tim Leadbeater writes about his excellent new blog, 100 Years of Trenches:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/100-years-of-trenches/

And check out our earlier material on WW1 and Anzac Day that is grouped
here: https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/12/as-we-approach-anzac-day/

In Christchurch the new Palestinian Association organised a successful
event to commemorate Land Day:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/palestinian-land-day-commemorated-in-christchurch/

In Wellington Peace Action activists picketed Tony Abbott's appearance at
the war memorial:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/20/anti-war-action-at-pukeahau-memorial/

British elections: Labour attacks migrant workers:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/25/british-elections-labour-attacks-migrant-workers/

Lastly, we have a piece looking at the police murder of Freddie Gray in
Baltimore.  Here's an extract: "with his hands cuffed behind his back, with
his legs in shackles, Freddie Gray was thrown into the back of a Baltimore
police van, no seatbelt, nothing to secure him in place, and then ridden
around for 42 minutes, over bumpy roads, around sharp fast turns,
punctuated by sudden reversals and stops, tossing him around the back of
the van, bouncing him off its walls, unable to protect or brace himself
with his feet or his hands. It’s what Baltimore cops call a “rough ride,”
and what Philadelphia cops call a “nickel ride.”

By the end of that murderous ride, Freddie Gray was for all practical
purposes dead, although it took him another seven days to die. His spinal
cord had been almost severed, three neck vertebrae were fractured, his
larynx crushed. . .

full at:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/27/us-the-states-systematic-violence-kills-another-young-black-man/