[Marxism] New from The Russian Reader: Interviews with Moscow doctors on work-to-rule strike; Russian legislators to discuss bill reintroducing penalties for "social parasitism"

Thomas Campbell avvakum at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 08:02:36 MDT 2015

"Why have others not dared to follow your example? Why has the strike not
taken on a broader scope?"

"Because people do not believe you can change anything in this country. The
general opinion is that fighting the system is useless. Because the changes
are implemented from the top down, they are government policy, Ministry of
Health policy, everyone thinks the system cannot be moved. It will just
crush its tiny functionaries—that is, those of us who do not agree with it.
Plus, those who at first had almost decided to go on strike with me (they,
as I have said, were in a really difficult situation) immediately came
under pressure with the aim of putting the whole thing to a stop.
Management acted against us with all possible means, mainly verbal. They
accused us of sabotage and treason. They told us that the state had given
us a job, and now we had gone against the state. And so on. Many people
simply abandoned the idea. They decided to spare themselves the trouble."

Open Left presents a unique set of interviews with the doctors involved in
the first protest in the Moscow medical care system since 1993.

Read in full at:
https://therussianreader.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/open-left-moscow-doctors-talk-about-their-work-to-rule-strike/

or

http://ktr.su/en/content/news/detail.php?ID=3826

______

Let’s call it the Joseph Brodsky Law, especially since it was drafted in
that incubator of shamelessness and obscurantism known as the St.
Petersburg Legislative Assembly, in Brodsky’s hometown.

I have an acquaintance who was laid off seven months ago from his job of
many years in the marketing department at a reputable, Soviet-era
instruments manufacturing company. He has been diligently looking for a
comparable job (or any good job) since then, but has found nothing.

Part of the reason his company tanked was that the wise guys (pun
intended?) who now own it, diversified into real estate development and
construction during the “boom” times a few year ago, and lost tons of money
building luxury high-rises somewhere in the middle of Leningrad Region
which no one wanted to move into.

Igor will be thrilled to learn his country has plans to label him a “social
parasite” and assign him to a life of slave labor because he, a
hard-working, pleasant, smart, decent guy, had the bad fortune to be born
in a country where, in reality, “labor” and hard work have always been
vilified and criminalized, whether by the serf-owning noblemen of the
eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, the vanguard of the proletariat during
the twentieth century or the new overlords, the Ozero dacha co-op and their
minions from the worlds of organized crime and petty officialdom.

Read the rest at:
https://therussianreader.wordpress.com/2015/04/29/joseph-brodsky-social-parasitism/