[Marxism] Callinicos: Syriza’s compromise won’t beat austerity

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 23:54:21 MDT 2015

On 30 Apr 2015, at 12:43 AM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> If this was just about Greece, I'd say maybe so but Callinicos positions himself in relationship to the governments of Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia and Greece as a latter-day Trotsky in Coyoacan. In the 1930s at least the Trotskyists had the excuse that Stalinist hegemony prevented them from growing into mass parties, not that this was the sole problem. But what exactly keeps Antarsya from becoming massive if it has the answers? "Physician, heal thyself", Luke 4:23. 23.

I’m not defending Alex’s position, only pointing out that it’s perfectly consistent with continuing hostility towards Syriza from the mainstream press - especially given the dangers associated with a “good example” on the shores of Europe. That's essential to understand in order to appreciate the dilemma Tsipras et al face. And Alex isn’t the enemy.