[Marxism] Callinicos: Syriza’s compromise won’t beat austerity

ioannis aposperites aposperites at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 11:05:30 MDT 2015

On 30/04/2015 08:54 πμ, MM via Marxism wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2015, at 12:43 AM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> If this was just about Greece, I'd say maybe so but Callinicos positions himself in relationship to the governments of Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia and Greece as a latter-day Trotsky in Coyoacan. In the 1930s at least the Trotskyists had the excuse that Stalinist hegemony prevented them from growing into mass parties, not that this was the sole problem. But what exactly keeps Antarsya from becoming massive if it has the answers? "Physician, heal thyself", Luke 4:23. 23.
>
> I’m not defending Alex’s position, only pointing out that it’s perfectly consistent with continuing hostility towards Syriza from the mainstream press - especially given the dangers associated with a “good example” on the shores of Europe. That's essential to understand in order to appreciate the dilemma Tsipras et al face. And Alex isn’t the enemy.

The EU elite's "greek program" is running smoothly despite all those
fierce left knights of erratic or steady marxists, and this reality is
deceiving all excitement about SYRIZA. Yet it is admittedly much easier
for Callinicos or anyone to just tell the wrong way out from the right
way out of the horrible working class situation, even if one isn't able
to conceive materially create the later.

Antarsya has not the answer; it is not able to build the way out;
otherwise, in acute crisis conditions, it would have been a social
majority. What it has, is the Greater Common Divisor of a range from
Maoists and ex-communists to eurocommunists and trotskyists, and a GCD
can never be THE ANSWER. Antarsya, although a big achievement of the
greek far left, is nothing but an immature political front.

But after all, 0,65% of the vote is insignificant both for the bad and
the good in the "central political stage": Antarsya is not even present
in the parliament while Syriza is the major partner in the government.
If the austerity program is actually running smoothly and, more
important, if it will continue like this, then in practice at the end of
the day, Syriza will have just carried out all dirty job Samaras
couldn't. And pointing to that, does not necessitate to have at any
range THE ANSWER.

The Syriza-AneL government is falling; slowly till now, but is falling.
Whether under Tsipras or under Lenin, what it promises cannot be
achieved. Ending austerity inside Eurozone is just impossible. The
activists of SYRIZA are more than deceived. Even the most restrained
among them are now ready to abandon the holly party's unity rhetoric in
favor of an upcoming internal fight: "we have lay too much and too long
on them" said a SYRIZA comrade.

On the other hand EU and IMF are working on SYRIZA. As minister
Stratoulis said (https://youtu.be/tudIwaNH_Cg ) they are blackmailing :
"Is that negotiation tactics?" he exclaimed. Of course it isn't; but why
expect a negotiation anyway? They just pushing around syriza so that in
every setback the gap that has been opened up by the dogma "the
government is one thing, the party another" between the leadership and
the grass root activists is deepening. Without them, SYRIZA can still
hold its electoral support and become an electoral-machine party like
the bourgeois parties, and this will probably be the end of the present
coalition government. The multifold scenarios of a national unity
government are already spoken out.

Meanwhile, and in absence of any political alternative for the greek
bourgeoisie, and as long as the chain of setbacks goes on, the ruling
class has nothing to fear except the next tide of working class
resistance. Antarsya, and many among Syriza activists are supposedly
willing, but yet far from prepared, to ride that tide. In fact they all
appeal to that tide as a remedy to their political embarrassment.
Of course, KKE will denounce it as reactionary while the government,
whoever it is including the present one, will try to suppress it.

JA