[Marxism] Ukraine - a past that isn't past

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 9 21:23:30 MST 2015

The Ukraine and its past are a factor in Canadian politics.  How much a factor I can't say, but I expect it is more than many other countries.  About 1,200,000 Canadians have some Ukrainian background.  How many of these identify with their Ukrainian past I do not know.
I can say that their is an active Ukrainian community judging from what I see on multi-cultural TV.  I am able to watch these shows as they are often bi-lingual.
Just this week I saw a gathering of school-age children at an event to remember the famine of the '30s in the Ukraine.

I thought of this because of a detective story I have just begun, Death of a Nightingale, by Lene Kaaberbøl and Agnete Friis.  The story switches from present day Denmark to the Ukraine of 1934.
"Right after Christmas both she and the puppies had disappeared from the back shed, and it wasn't hard to figure out who had taken her, because at the same time, a group of Former Human Beings had drifted down the village's main street, reaching out with their skeletal fingers for anything edible on the way.  The bark had been peeled from the trees, sparrows shot out of the sky, they had even eaten dirt."

I have no doubt that his understanding of the past is affecting politics today, not only in the Ukraine, but in Canada as well.

				ken h