[Marxism] Descartes's Swedish connection

Manuel Barrera mtomas3 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 10 20:10:03 MST 2015

" Late in his life, Descartes served as a private tutor to Queen Christina of Sweden. Christina was, by all accounts, unconventional."
This link is very timely, Louis. I just viewed the film "The Girl King" as part of the Minneapolis Film Society Festival this past weekend. I'd be interested in your review of the film.

I found it a good film, dramatically, but as it now seems not entirely accurate in its depiction of Descartes' relationship with Christina. Still, I thought the issues of feminism and depiction of the Queen's lesbianism unexpected and interesting in what appeared to be a fictionalized historical account. I learned later from a friend who looked into the actual history of Christina that the film's final comments at the end about the Queen's work with poets and philosophers at the Vatican was not the entire story with some failed attempts at establishing a reign in other cities (Florence, I believe?). In any case, it is a history I'd never really encountered before.