[Marxism] Fwd: What It's Like to Be Noam Chomsky's Assistant - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 21 07:40:25 MST 2015

I could see from his work that his memory was a force of nature, and one
day I dared to ask him about it. He told me he has what he calls
"buffers," or little drawers in his brain that he opens to retrieve
conversations and correspondence from as long as 50 years ago. He told
me he thought for a long time that everyone had this ability.

http://chronicle.com/article/What-Its-Like-to-Be-Noam/234667

I got some exposure to this about a decade ago when I was walking along
120th Street near B'way during lunch when a cab pulled up and Chomsky
stepped out on his way to some speaking engagement at Columbia. Since
his daughter was a Tecnica volunteer, I thought I'd introduce myself.
Five seconds after my introduction, he began commenting about what his
daughter and other volunteers had done in Nicaragua more than a decade
earlier. My jaw dropped.