[Marxism] [Pen-l] Fwd: What It's Like to Be Noam Chomsky's Assistant - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Perelman, Michael MPerelman at csuchico.edu
Mon Dec 21 11:18:03 MST 2015

Chomsky came to Chico years ago.  He gave 3 1.5 hour lectures without a break.  One was on international politics; one on the media.  I don't remember the other one, but they were all exceedingly impressive.  We decided on the subjects shortly before his presentation.  Nonetheless, in his lectures, he would say something like "on July 16 1986, the NY Times wrote: "... he filled in the blanks.  Someone who walked in to the lectures would be sure that he spent many days preparing them.  As we walked across the campus, students would greet him and give him their name.  Chomsky would respond, with something like "Your last message about Palestine ..."  I asked him how many hours per day he corresponds with students from Chico.  He said, an hour or two for correspondence.  We went to a dinner with a few people, then a reception that lasted till midnight.  I picked him up the next day at 8:00 AM.  He then began to tell me about what he had been reading the night before.  Noam Chomsky is AMAZING.

Michael Perelman
Economics Department
California State University
Mperelman at csuchico.edu