[Marxism] Murray Bookchin

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Dec 24 10:13:52 MST 2015

I am inclined to look at Bookchin as someone who had been an interesting thinker. Since he had begun his political life as a Marxist, he was one of the relatively few anarchist thinkers who had seriously engaged with Marxist thought, so his criticisms of Marxism I think carried a bit more weight than those coming from other anarchist writers.

As for his notions concerning "post-scarcity", I think that all he meant by that was that modern capitalism had developed the forces of production to a sufficiently high enough level that in a rationally organized society everybody could be afforded a decent standard of living and reliance upon toil could be reduced to a bare minimum. I think that for him, the 1960's, where, at least in First World countries, we saw that after a prolonged period of prosperity, the first glimmerings of what a "post-scarcity" consciousness would be like.

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
http://www.foxymath.com
Learn or Review Basic Math