[Marxism] Fwd: Girlhood; Mustang | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Dec 30 15:17:38 MST 2015

Among the dozens of screeners I received from film studio publicity
machines in conjunction with NYFCO’s awards meeting in early December
were two that dealt in one way or another with teen girls struggling to
define themselves against social constraints imposed by poverty and
religion respectively. Both are serious works and have outstanding
performances but ultimately fail as statements about the social
conditions they seek to explain and dramatize. Despite the critical
remarks I will be making about the films, they will both be categorized
as “fresh” on Rotten Tomatoes since I would prefer to reserve a “rotten”
for the likes of “Mad Max: Fury Road”.

full: http://louisproyect.org/2015/12/30/girlhood-mustang/