[Marxism] Is the universe an illusion?

Marla Vijaya kumar marlavk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 20:13:21 MST 2015

Comrades,                  I have collected a good lot of information on the hypothesis that physical reality is an illusion. What is troubling me is that while some physicsts argue that since the mere fact of observation changes the state of the particle/ wave, it is human consciousness that determines the reality of the physical world.
While Bohm, Hogland, Talbot and others have gone to the extent of declaring the physical reality as an illusion, I find hardly any genuine marxist critic of these distortions of science. Especially in India, practically no work is done on this. This is what is troubling me. The book, "Reason in Revolt" by Ted Grant and Alan Woods contains so many dogmatic distortions of science. Their disccussion on QM is very unsatsifactory and I get a feeling that they have not understood the real significance of QM to Dialectical and Historical Materialism. And moreover, M-Theory and the concept of Higher Dimensional Universe have to be analysed interms of Marxist Philosophy. What about multiverse theory, of which David Deutsch is one of the prominent exponents. There is an undercurrent of metaphysics in his book, "The Fabric of Reality".I have read recently that introducing concepts such as "Singlarity (Ray Kurzweil et. all.) into public discourse is a deliberate attempt at molding public opinion to suit the future interests of the ruling class. Who will gain and who will lose if robots and Artificial General Intelligence take over the world. Definitely not the 99% of the population on earth. Kurzweil says that singlarity is inevitable, citing evidence of Moore's Law. He further argues that human mind can be copied into computers and consciousness is subtrate independent. Human minds can be copied and merged together to create a super intelligence. I feel that this is completely ahistorical and totally devoid of the real meaning of human nature. He is extrapolating exponential curves, which by its very method is unscientific. Any new development in technology can completely change the exponentails or even make them redundant, when the new technology takes over. And moreover, we do not have that kind of progress in AI, even though Kurzweil's imagination is racing ahead of realities. And arguing that Super intelligence will permeate the universe by growing in a dougle exponential rise (ewhatever that might mean!) is pure wishful thinking.Please guide me to some recent references that have proper Marxist interpretation of modern science.Thank you for your responses.Vijaya Kumar Marla