[Marxism] Fwd: Trifles for a massacre | Idiot Joy Showland

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jan 9 10:31:03 MST 2015

Who is it that threatens free speech? When the French government bans
all Gaza solidarity demonstrations at the height of a vicious massacre
in Palestine, it’s not a threat to freedom of speech: it’s a public
safety measure. When the French state bans Muslim women from wearing the
veil in public, it’s not a threat to freedom of speech: it’s a defence
of secularism. When fanatical Zionists plant a bomb under the car of a
French Jewish journalist who won’t toe the party line on Israel, it’s
not a threat to freedom of speech: it’s a criminal act, certainly, but
not an existential threat to the general ability for you or for me to
say whatever we want. In the UK newspaper offices are raided by spies
and kids are sent to prison for burning artificial poppies; this isn’t a
threat to free speech either. It’s strange.

full: http://samkriss.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/trifles-for-a-massacre/