[Marxism] Charlie Hebdo rejected the idea of Islamophobia

Tristan Sloughter t at crashfast.com
Sat Jan 10 21:31:20 MST 2015

I've been seeing way too many defences of what has been published in
Charlie Hebdo. Yes, some of the comics in context are less bad. But
after 2001 the magazine seemed to feel it a duty to attack Islam. Below
is a letter published in Charlie Hebdo attacking the very idea of
Islamophobia.

I don't know what is so hard about this. And the only reason it has to
be continually stated, resulting claims of victim blaming, is so many
making statements of "I am Charlie". You can despise the terrorist act
and the reactionary politics of the attackers without declaring yourself
one with "Charlie" and without claiming those who are uncomfortable with
that statement are victim blaming or supporters of the murderers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4764730.stm

Full text: Writers' statement on cartoons
A group of 12 writers have put their names to a statement in French
weekly newspaper Charlie Hebdo warning against Islamic
"totalitarianism". Here is the text in full:

After having overcome fascism, Nazism, and Stalinism, the world now
faces a new global totalitarian threat: Islamism.

We, writers, journalists, intellectuals, call for resistance to
religious totalitarianism and for the promotion of freedom, equal
opportunity and secular values for all.

Recent events, prompted by the publication of drawings of Muhammad in
European newspapers, have revealed the necessity of the struggle for
these universal values.

This struggle will not be won by arms, but in the ideological field.

It is not a clash of civilisations nor an antagonism between West and
East that we are witnessing, but a global struggle that confronts
democrats and theocrats.

Like all totalitarian ideologies, Islamism is nurtured by fear and
frustration.

Preachers of hatred play on these feelings to build the forces with
which they can impose a world where liberty is crushed and inequality
reigns.

But we say this, loud and clear: nothing, not even despair, justifies
choosing darkness, totalitarianism and hatred.

Islamism is a reactionary ideology that kills equality, freedom and
secularism wherever it is present.

Its victory can only lead to a world of injustice and domination: men
over women, fundamentalists over others.

On the contrary, we must ensure access to universal rights for the
oppressed or those discriminated against.

We reject the "cultural relativism" which implies an acceptance that men
and women of Muslim culture are deprived of the right to equality,
freedom and secularism in the name of the respect for certain cultures
and traditions.

We refuse to renounce our critical spirit out of fear of being accused
of "Islamophobia", a wretched concept that confuses criticism of Islam
as a religion and stigmatisation of those who believe in it.

We defend the universality of the freedom of expression, so that a
critical spirit can exist in every continent, towards each and every
maltreatment and dogma.

We appeal to democrats and free spirits in every country that our
century may be one of light and not dark.

Signed by:

Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Chahla Chafiq

Caroline Fourest