[Marxism] A Radical Historian Offers Hope

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 11 12:50:07 MST 2015

A Radical Historian Offers Hope
Our Mass Movements Ongoing

by PAUL BUHLE

The mass demonstrations in Paris and London, as well as elsewhere, offer
hope. Perhaps, for the French in particular, they will usefully reopen
old wounds, that is the blowback of the Algerian War, with its massive
human rights crimes, its outflux of pied-noir emigrants to Mother France
who carried along their prejudice and hatreds, unto multiple
generations, many of today’s hatefully neoconservative and hawkish
intellectuals, etc.

For me, these demonstrations mark a continuation of the wave of more or
less spontaneous movements of hundreds of thousands and millions of
ordinary people, across the years since 1910: Occupy (from Tahrir Square
to Manhattan and onward to Wisconsin Uprising, among so many other
anti-austerity events around North America and the world); the global
support movement for Gazan civilians under brutal attack; and Hands Up
Don’t Shoot.

They vividly bring back to me the great movements of my youth, for Civil
Rights and against the US invasion of Vietnam.

I feel certain, following from a distance and/or taking part, in the
overlapping participants, the overlapping sentiments, the overlapping
thirst for an end to violent brutality and prejudice, too often if not
always with the aid of authorities and the mainstream press.

My question remains a simple one: how can we weave these great causes
together into a mighty movement?

Special acknowledgment to COUNTERPUNCH for letting me borrow a title and
a sentiment from an earlier piece.

You know me as coeditor of IT STARTED IN WISCONSIN (with Mari Jo Buhle)
among other works.