[Marxism] Charlie Hebdo not Racist

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 13 16:56:19 MST 2015

Dan clearly has his defences up and has no interest in being convinced (or, strangely, in convincing anyone).  However, just for the record, the cartoons were not just about ‘religious zealots’.  Most of them were about Islam as such, taking the Prophet Mohammed as the meet exemplar of the supposed follies of Islam.

This began with the famous contrived idiocy of the Danish Cartoons, which CH reproduced to tremendous commercial success.  Perhaps the most famous of these cartoons depicted Mohammed as a wild-eyed beardy oriental type with a bomb in his turban.  The bomb bore the Shahada declaration - the statement of faith which Dan would make if he converted to Islam one sombre day.  The story told by the cartoon was fairly straightforward: we are seeing all this violence everywhere because Islam is essentially and fundamentally a bomb waiting to go off in the heads of believers.  It is essentially and monolithically a terrorist creed, the cartoon said, and as such represents the enemy of civilised modernity.

One of the more famous covers for which CH was criticised was the one bearing the legend, Sharia Hebdo.  On the cover, Mohammed was featured as guest editor, represented as a fairly standard oriental primitive, promising 100 lashes if you don’t die of laughter.  Again the message was the same: Islam is essentially a primitive, violent, repressive and intolerant religion.  Other depictions featured Mohammed sucking off satan, or made fairly easy jokes about his relationship to Aisha, alluding to the old (misinformed) Islamophobic trope about his being a paedo.  One could go on.  All of these are well-known stereotypes used to justify the surveillance and repression of Muslims on the grounds that they represent a civilisational threat to the ‘the West’.  They are no different to infamous racist libels against Jews.

Of course, as a former Charlie Hebdo writer named Oliver Cyran wrote to the editor a few years ago, this line that they go after everyone equally is nonsense.  There is no ‘Talmud Hebdo’, and there aren’t pictures of rabbis fucking pigs or counting money.  Rightly so.  Indeed, when the CH writer Maurice Sinet produced a vicious antisemitic libel on Sarkozy’s son, he was rightly fired by the publication.

CH had a moral and political purpose.  It knew that racism was wrong when it was directed against Jews, and black people.  Charb rightly said that racism is not comedy.  But the magazine didn’t extend that consideration to Muslims.