[Marxism] Fwd: Equal in Paris? | Online Only | n+1

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 13 17:24:15 MST 2015

IN THE FIVE YEARS that I have lived in France, I have more than once
been welcomed into well-furnished rooms where I have been left to
silently puzzle over colonial detritus—Sambo-like dolls and figurines,
thick-lipped, bug-eyed, disembodied brown porcelain heads—cavalierly
displayed on illuminated shelves and marble tabletops. The first few
times I saw these mementos I was jarred, though it is also possible for
me to talk and laugh and drink in such spaces, because I am with
friends, and I am comfortable in my status as an American who has made
his home in Paris but is always free to leave. And yet, I would be lying
if I denied that there is some small part of my consciousness still
tender with ancestral ache, which cannot ever allow me to lose sight of
these outlandish trophies and souvenirs. They seem to somehow comfort or
amuse my hosts, reminding them of nothing at all or of some far less
complicated and stressful past, and fit smartly in the décor alongside
equestrian prints, layered “oriental” rugs, and grandfather’s antelope
heads from Africa mounted on the wall.

full: https://nplusonemag.com/online-only/online-only/equal-in-paris/