[Marxism] Fwd: French Muslims feel deeply torn by viral ‘I am Charlie’ slogan - The Washington Post

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jan 14 18:56:18 MST 2015

Unemployment and poverty remain far higher among France’s Muslims than
in the nation overall. Joblessness and poverty are particularly high in
heavily Muslim Paris suburbs such as Gennevilliers, an area of
sprawling, dense apartment blocks where at least one of the gunmen —
Chérif Kouachi, 32 — lived. On the streets here, Charlie Hebdo remains
something different, a symbol of what some, such as Mohamed Binakdan,
32, describe as the everyday humiliation of Muslims in France.

“You go to a nightclub, and they don’t let you in,” said Binakdan, a
transit worker in Paris. “You go to a party, they look at your beard,
and say, ‘Oh, when are you going to Syria to join the jihad?’ Charlie
Hebdo is a part of that, too. Those who are stronger than us are mocking
us. We have high unemployment, high poverty. Religion is all we have
left. This is sacred to us. And yes, we have a hard time laughing about it.”

full:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/they-are-not-charlie/2015/01/13/7c9d6998-9aae-11e4-86a3-1b56f64925f6_story.html