[Marxism] Robert E. White, Ex-Ambassador to Latin America, Dies at 88

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 18 10:30:19 MST 2015

(The obit does not mention it, but White was the president of the
International Center for Development Policy in the 80s, a group that was
key to the success of Tecnica, the volunteer project for Nicaragua that
I worked with. White was a really admirable figure.)

NY Times, Jan. 18 2015
Robert E. White, Ex-Ambassador to Latin America, Dies at 88
By SAM ROBERTS

On Dec. 1, 1980, two churchwomen, Jean Donovan and Sister Dorothy Kazel,
spent the night at the American Embassy in San Salvador as guests of
Ambassador Robert E. White and his wife. The next day, the two women and
two other nuns, all crusaders for human rights, were abducted, raped and
murdered.

Mr. White concluded that El Salvadoran government death squads had been
complicit in the crimes and conveyed those suspicions to the Carter
administration’s State Department. The United States, however, was
supporting the military government in El Salvador in its struggle
against leftist revolutionaries, and after President Ronald Reagan took
office that January, Mr. White, who had been appointed by President
Jimmy Carter, was recalled by Reagan’s secretary of state, Alexander M.
Haig Jr., and forced out of the Foreign Service.

His suspicions about the deaths were later confirmed by the conviction
of five National Guardsmen and by declassified State Department
documents accusing the Salvadoran military of a cover-up.

“I regard it as an honor to join a small group of officers who have gone
out of the service because they refused to betray their principles,” Mr.
White said at the time.

Mr. White died Tuesday at a hospice in Arlington, Va. He was 88. The
cause was cancer, his daughter Claire Kelly said. After leaving
government, he had served as president of the Center for International
Policy, a Washington research and advocacy group founded by former
diplomats and Vietnam-era peace advocates.

Serving every president since Dwight D. Eisenhower as a career diplomat
rather than a political appointee, Mr. White was distinguished by his
dispassionate, boots-on-the-ground analysis and his blunt conclusions.

He once branded Roberto D’Aubuisson, the Salvadoran rightist, a
“pathological killer.” And in a face-off that Mr. White had with
Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger, Mr. Kissinger blinked, revoking a
reprimand he had ordered after Mr. White, at a meeting of the
Organization of American States in Chile, delivered an unalloyed
critique of the host government’s human-rights infractions.

“I was fired by the Nixon White House for opposing politicization of the
Peace Corps, reprimanded by Henry Kissinger for speaking out on human
rights, and finally, definitely dismissed by Alexander Haig for opposing
a military solution in El Salvador,” Mr. White recalled.

Inspired to serve in Latin America by what he called President John F.
Kennedy’s “creative response to the revolutionary fervor” sweeping that
region, Mr. White lamented that once Kennedy was assassinated,
Washington adopted a single-minded goal to thwart Communism, whether in
Vietnam or in its half-century embargo of Cuba.

He lived just long enough to witness his criticism of the embargo
vindicated, when President Obama announced on Dec. 17 that it would be
lifted.

“For a half-century,” Mr. White asserted in an Op-Ed essay in The New
York Times in 2013, “our policies toward our southern neighbors have
alternated between intervention and neglect, inappropriate meddling and
missed opportunities” to, as he put it, “restore bonds with potential
allies who share the American goal of prosperity.”

William LeoGrande, an American University political scientist and the
author of “Our Own Backyard: The United States in Latin America,
1977-1992,” described Mr. White as a hero.

“He stood up for his principles, which reflected the values of the
American people — a belief in democracy and human rights,” Professor
LeoGrande said. “His courage cost him his job, but he never wavered,
spending the rest of his life advocating for those ideals.”

Robert Edward White was born in Melrose, Mass., on Sept. 21, 1926. He
enlisted in the Navy at 17 and served in the Pacific during World War II.

He received a bachelor’s degree from Saint Michael’s College in Vermont,
won a Fulbright Scholarship, and graduated from the Fletcher School of
Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University.

In 1955, he married Maryanne Cahill, who survives him along with a son,
Christopher; two daughters, Claire Kelly and Marylou White; a brother,
David, and three grandchildren.

He joined the Foreign Service that same year and served in Colombia,
Ecuador, Honduras and Nicaragua.

In Latin America he was regional director of the Peace Corps and deputy
permanent representative to the Organization of American States.

President Carter nominated him as ambassador to Paraguay in 1977 and to
El Salvador in 1980, where the embassy was targeted by rockets from
leftists and besieged by rightists.

A cable sent by Mr. White from Paraguay in 1978 and declassified in 2001
suggested that Latin American officers involved in a joint effort by
right-wing governments to crush leftist opposition had used an American
communications network to share intelligence.

In El Salvador, he said, American support for the military government
had been misplaced.

“We took the concept of national security and wrenched it out of context
to the point where it bore no relation to reality,” he said last year in
an interview for Retro Report on nytimes.com. “How can a country the
size of Massachusetts, where you can see the entire country from 9,000
feet from a helicopter — how can a homegrown revolution in that country
threaten the security of the United States?”

In 1980, the four churchwomen were murdered eight months after the
assassination of Archbishop Oscar Arnulfo Romero, a human rights
advocate, as he celebrated Mass. Mr. White, who witnessed their
exhumation, was asked why the women were singled out. “In the eyes of
the military,” he replied, “identification with the poor was the same as
identification with revolution.” But this time, he was quoted as saying
as he stood over their grave site, “The bastards won’t get away with it.”

He later testified in a suit against two retired Salvadoran generals
living in Florida who were accused of covering up the deaths of the four
women.

“One of the primary tasks of an American ambassador is to protect
American citizens,” he said in the interview. “And that’s why, when
somebody asked me at the end of one of the trials, why I testified
against the general, I said, ‘I regard this as completion of duty,’
because it was my duty to protect American citizens.”

Gene Palumbo contributed reporting from El Salvador.