[Marxism] Article on Borotba

Sergii Kutnii mnkutster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 08:48:00 MST 2015

There's an important cultural difference that comes to play here:
while in the US Jewishness is seen as a religious identity, in the
Eastern Europe it is more of a cultural or ethnic identity so "a
Christian Jew" is not an oxymoron.
Yes, it was not always so, and Jewishness has been defined through
Judaism in pre-1917 Russian Empire but this is an important example of
how an identity can be redefined over time.

AWL does not, to the best of my knowledge, identify themselves as
Jewish neither in terms of religion nor in terms of culture, so they
don't seem to have a material stake in the conflict. They just have an
idea of how a conflict in a distant land that does not affect them
directly should be resolved. Without a material interest in the
existence of Israel, this is not enough, in my view, to call anyone a
Zionist.

Should an American who thinks that Scottish independency is a good
idea be called a Scottish nationalist?