[Marxism] white Oregon

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 22 07:36:40 MST 2015

Dennis Brasky said:

from a FB friend -
The International Warehouse and Longshore Union was one of the first unions
to be racially integrated. Within the ILWU, the one holdout was the all
white local in Portland. That local finally integrated during the early
60's as a result of pressure from the Civil Rights Movement.

Ken Hiebert replies:
The story is told of the 1934 strike in San Francisco that Harry Bridges, busy as he was, spent Sunday mornings going to black churches and appealing for them to not be tempted into being used as strikebreakers.  Blacks had been excluded up to that point and Bridges promised them that as soon as he could, he would open the doors for them.
This leads me to the view that the ILWU leadership was anxious to see a racially integrated union and would have welcomed the pressure from the civil rights movement as what they needed to overcome the resistance of the Portland local.
No doubt there are others with a better knowledge of this history and I would like to hear from them.