[Marxism] Fwd: Syriza’s Moment » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jan 24 08:26:41 MST 2015

Ahmet Tonak: Let us assume for a moment that despite the barriers set up
by European finance capital and the Greek bourgeoisie, Syriza goes from
victory to victory, gaining the full support of the working class and a
majority of the Greek population. Where would Syriza wish to take Greece
under those circumstances?

Efklidis Tsakalotos:  Syriza’s programme is a transitional one. It wants
to start the process of not only reversing the policies of austerity but
also dismantling some of the central pillars of the neo-liberal order.
As with all transitional programmes the goal is to open up fissures for
more radical polices. Whether we in Europe can achieve this depends on
the extent that social movements are inspired to make use of the
opportunities that arise to broaden the agenda in favour of a more
participatory, institutionally-diverse, and socially just economy.
Left-wing governments can do only so much. Social transformations,
especially in the modern era, need the active engagement of millions.
Parties and governments of the Left must see their role as catalysts of
these wider developments. What is certain is that we are living in
interesting times!

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/2015/01/23/syrizas-moment/