[Marxism] Tony Norfield and Michael Roberts on 'Quantitative Easing' in Europe

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 22:34:09 MST 2015

I've just put up on Redline two excellent pieces on the January 22 decision
of the European central Bank to engage in further quantitative easing.

The piece by Tony Norfield is here:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/europe-even-more-queasy/

The piece by Michael Roberts is here:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/01/26/european-banks-face-the-stagnation-problem/

I can't recommend these two guys highly enough.  Mike is also incredibly
prolific and attends all kinds of interesting gatherings.

Tony, who worked in banking for several decades, has just finished a PhD on
British imperialism today and, during the PhD, hasn't been so prolific.  He
is, however, working on turning his PhD into a book and I'm sure it will be
well worth reading.

Back in the 1980s, work he did in the late 1970s analysing the world
economy after the end of the postwar boom and the decay of the British
economy had a big (and enduring) influence on me.  I didn't get to meet him
until 2011; I was delighted to find him a very pleasant down-to-earth guy
and have kept up contact with him and met him again when I was in London in
2013.

I'd also thoroughly recommend this excellent presentation by Mike last
(northern) summer; the question/discussion session raises interesting
points too:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2014/08/18/marxism-2014-michael-roberts-on-world-economy-plus-discussion-session/

Phil