[Marxism] Amidst all the celebrations we should remember this: Labor is not the Australian equivalent of SYRIZA

John Passant en.passant at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 31 16:54:03 MST 2015

Amidst all the celebrations we should remember this: Labor is not the
Australian equivalent of SYRIZA

A social democratic desire among workers for improved living standards
and services is both systemic, arising from the forced sale of our
labour power to survive, and historical. The reality that workers'
living standards are falling relatively, and may have to do so from
capital's point of view in real terms, conflicts with the very real
yearning of workers for a better world of full employment, improved
wages and conditions and good schools, hospitals and transport. In
Australia at the moment that yearning finds expression not in strikes
and demonstrations for these outcomes - strikes are at near historic
lows - but in the yo-yo of electoral change from neoliberal Labor to the
neoliberal Liberals to neoliberal Labor.

http://enpassant.com.au/2015/02/01/amidst-all-the-celebrations-we-should-remember-this-labor-is-not-the-australian-version-of-syriza/