[Marxism] The “Israel backs Jabhat al-Nusra” fairy-tale and its deadly consequences

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 18:51:11 MDT 2015

Joe, I don’t know what you mean I didn’t take it up when you sent the article with Ya’alon’s newer statements. I believe I did, and that his newer statements are almost the same as those I quoted from December. Here was my response on the thread here:
“Israel is not assisting Nusra, and the article [ie, the article you sent] doesn't say that it is. Despite the title, the only assistance to unspecified fighters (and civilians) referred to in the article is the treating of patients in Israeli hospitals. Ya'alon says the conditions for providing this
medical assistance is that they don't attack Israel, the don't attack the Druze, and they keep "Islamic extremists" away from the border. For
"Islamic extremists" read Nusra.”
So how is this different to what I wrote in my article:
“According to Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon, the IDF is providing assistance (heaters, blankets etc) to “Syrian border villages” on condition that “the more moderate militias in the border area keep radical militias away from the Israeli border”

My article actually quoted some specific material aid (heaters, blankets etc) whereas the newer one you sent ONLY referred to the long-well-known medical aid aspect. As for “Israel backs Nusra,” both articles make clear that the purpose of any of this aid to unspecified militias is to keep Nusra away from the border. The newer article merely adds the condition that they don’t attack the Druze

Joseph Catron: