[Marxism] ROAR: Our responsibility to vote 'NO'; Greece needs a 'Plan C'

Dayne Goodwin daynegoodwin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 22:28:42 MDT 2015

Our responsibility to vote ‘NO’ in the Greek referendum
by Theodoros Karyotis
ROAR magazine, July 2, 2015
<http://roarmag.org/2015/07/greek-referendum-no-vote-austerity>

*A yes vote would entail a major setback for popular struggles; a NO
vote, by contrast, would open up radical new horizons for the
grassroots movement.*
 . . .
However, all the above does not mean that the popular movements can
afford to maintain a “neutral” position to this affront; this is,
unfortunately, a stance that, from the vantage point of a
revolutionary idealism, is promoted by the Communist Party and sectors
of the anarchist movement. It is evident that the duty of a popular
democratic movement is to fight for ultimately overcoming the
political context that presents us with this type of blackmail and
false dilemmas.
 . . .
Surely, our task does not end with a NO vote; the formulation of a
plan of action that is antagonistic to the neoliberal integration
project is still pending, a plan based on the initiative of organized
society and on solidarity between the peoples of Europe. Nevertheless,
as opposed to the prolongation of austerity, dispossession, suffering
and disintegration of the social fabric that will be attested by a YES
vote, taking responsibility and embarking on the opportunities that a
NO will set in motion is the only option that can strengthen the
popular movement, that can open up spaces of intervention of the
social forces for the defense of our common goods and the
fortification of our collective endeavors.
   _   _   _   _   _   _   _   _
Theodoros Karyotis is a sociologist, translator and activist
participating in social movements that promote self-management,
solidarity economy and defense of the commons in Greece.

Greece needs a Plan C: for the commons and communality
by Jerome Roos
ROAR magazine, July 4, 2015
<http://roarmag.org/2015/07/greece-plan-c-commons-solidarity>

*Whatever the outcome of the referendum, tough times are ahead. To
survive, Greek society will need to reinvigorate the commons and
communal solidarity.*

As the Greek debt crisis enters its dramatic apotheosis — with an
unprecedented default on the IMF last Tuesday, hundreds of thousands
of anti-austerity protesters taking to the streets on Friday, and a
historic referendum scheduled for Sunday — concerns are growing over
the state of the Greek economy.
 . . .
While we have since seen a remarkable proliferation of such commons —
think of solidarity kitchens, social clinics, self-managed workplaces,
mutual aid networks, alternative currencies, and so on — the urgency
of the negotiations and the preoccupation with the “high politics” of
Grexit and debt relief has largely overshadowed the deeper questions
raised in these grassroots initiatives: What about the day after? What
kind of country do we really want to build together? Can capitalism
still fulfill our needs and desires?

These are the questions that would be addressed by an anti-capitalist
Plan C: a reinvigorated project of the commons and communal
solidarity. In contrast to both Plan A and Plan B, Plan C would be a
bottom-up project organized by local communities that would situate
itself directly on the terrain of everyday life...
 . . .
Needless to say, Sunday’s referendum will mark a historic moment for
Greece and for Europe. Only a proud and dignified NO can begin to
liberate Greek society from the endless suffocation, blackmail and
humiliation at the hands of the country’s creditors. But whatever the
outcome of the plebiscite may be, the left should not limit its
political imagination to the terms of a new bailout agreement or the
denomination of the national currency.

Deal or no deal, euro or no euro, one thing is clear: a long fight
still lies ahead. As the creditors’ assault intensifies, only a
reinvigoration of the struggle from below can save beleaguered Greece
— and turn it, once again, into a proud beacon of democracy and
solidarity for the rest of the world.
Jerome Roos is a PhD researcher in International Political Economy at
the European University Institute, and founding editor of ROAR
Magazine.