[Marxism] Fwd: What to Make of Heidegger in 2015? - The Los Angeles Review of Books

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jul 5 07:44:02 MDT 2015

Heidegger, like many other philosophers after him, was alarmed not only
by human beings living inauthentic lives in technological societies but
also by the way we are becoming technological ourselves. In this
condition philosophy, as an analysis of our concepts, traditions, and
world, would lose its educational and critical role within society.
Unfortunately, his anti-Semitism has destroyed his legacy, even more so
than other anti-Semites of his time (T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, D.H.
Lawrence). While many are now wont to defend or discredit the German
thinker’s moral and political corruption, we should remember, as
Heidegger once said, that “he who thinks great thoughts often makes
great errors.”

full: http://lareviewofbooks.org/essay/what-to-make-of-heidegger-in-2015