[Marxism] Yanis Varoufakis resigns from Finance Minister post

Dayne Goodwin daynegoodwin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 00:13:30 MDT 2015

"Minister no more": Greek finance minister Yanis Varoufakis resigns
The Guardian, July 6
<http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2015/jul/06/greek-referendum-eu-leaders-call-crisis-meeting-as-bailout-rejected-live-updates>

In another extraordinary development the Greek finance minister has
just announced his resignation.

In a move likely to spark further concerns about the role of other
European leaders in Greece’s internal politics, Varoufakis said he was
made aware of a preference by “some European participants” of his
absence throughout the continuing negotiations.

The post was made on Varoufakis’ blog and there is nothing to suggest
it is not authentic. It has also been cross-posted on his Twitter
account.

Minister No More!
Yanis Varoufakis blog
Posted on July 6, 2015 by yanisv
<http://yanisvaroufakis.eu/2015/07/06/minister-no-more/#more-8433>

The referendum of 5th July will stay in history as a unique moment
when a small European nation rose up against debt-bondage.

Like all struggles for democratic rights, so too this historic
rejection of the Eurogroup’s 25th June ultimatum comes with a large
price tag attached. It is, therefore, essential that the great capital
bestowed upon our government by the splendid NO vote be invested
immediately into a YES to a proper resolution – to an agreement that
involves debt restructuring, less austerity, redistribution in favour
of the needy, and real reforms.

Soon after the announcement of the referendum results, I was made
aware of a certain preference by some Eurogroup participants, and
assorted ‘partners’, for my… ‘absence’ from its meetings; an idea that
the Prime Minister judged to be potentially helpful to him in reaching
an agreement. For this reason I am leaving the Ministry of Finance
today.

I consider it my duty to help Alexis Tsipras exploit, as he sees fit,
the capital that the Greek people granted us through yesterday’s
referendum.

And I shall wear the creditors’ loathing with pride.

We of the Left know how to act collectively with no care for the
privileges of office. I shall support fully Prime Minister Tsipras,
the new Minister of Finance, and our government.

The superhuman effort to honour the brave people of Greece, and the
famous OXI (NO) that they granted to democrats the world over, is just
beginning.