[Marxism] Richard Seymour on the 'defeat of Syriza'

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jul 11 16:04:57 MDT 2015

On 7/11/15 5:00 PM, James Creegan via Marxism wrote:
> Maybe a party that can, at minimum, decide on a rational course of action
> and campaign for it rather than merely reflect the immediate wishes of the
> electorate,

You mean like the Spartacist League and the International Bolshevik
Tendency that you belonged to for 30 years? Or the CPGB with its
hammer-and-sickle festooned website whose newspaper you write for on
occasion?

We are dealing with two types of politics basically. There are those who
believe in the power of deeds. That is why I spent a half-decade
recruiting technical aid volunteers for Nicaragua and the ANC and the
frontline states in the 1980s when you were writing articles calling for
proletarian dictatorship in a newspaper that probably had a circulation
of about 2 or 3 hundred. You must have believed that your words had some
kind of magical power to transform reality. I think that a mojo and a
monkey's paw would have had more impact.

I created this mailing list as an alternative to the kind of sterile,
self-regarding, vaporous formulas that come so easy to you. My advice is
to get off the Internet and go work in a soup kitchen or something if
you really want to make a difference.