[Marxism] Fwd: Replace facile criticism with criticism of the facile: Guest Post from John Game on Syriza | AnotherCountry

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jul 12 09:20:19 MDT 2015

https://attheinlandsea.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/replace-facile-criticism-with-criticism-of-the-facile-guest-post-from-john-game-on-syriza/

By John Game

The difficulty with many (not all) of the left critiques of Syriza is
not their program but the lack of evidence that their argument has a
social base. This doesn’t mean that I have confidence in the Syriza
leadership in all they do but it does mean that I think the difficulty
is not so much that they’re holding back an insurgent consciousness so
much as they reflect it (and those who like to denounce reformism ought
to know that this is always an aspect of how it works). And I think that
poses all sorts of difficulties.

Too many of the denunciations are formalist in the sense that they
imagine just being ‘logical’ and having the right ‘program’ is all. If
you cannot connect your program to an actual historical movement its not
really worth the paper its written on.

The whole dilemma as well as miracle of Syriza today stems from the
creation of radical politics at the head of a class which neo-liberalism
has atomised and dispersed. The depth of the crisis in Greece allowed
this form of politics to exist-this paradox has a bad as well as a good
side.

However I agree with what Costas (Lapavistas- ed.) has apparently
said-this delays rather then ends the prospect of an exit from the Euro.
In a lot of ways the basis of the development of social radicalism in
this situation is hugely uneven and neccessarily paradoxical. Its not a
crisis that’s over yet either for the European capitalists or for Greek
Society-or for Syriza.-Ultimately I think we have to be careful about
telescoping these events-expecting final denouments around every
corner-one danger is that the arguments of a left frustrated by its lack
of a social bases join hands with the arguments of the right-they are
‘incompetent’, ‘stupid’ or, as I heard one commentator say delightfully
‘reformist bozos’. In reality this is a round about way of attacking the
existing level of consiousness of those already bearing the brunt of
European capital’s depredations-far better is to talk about the
political and social contradictions involved and understand that the
arguments are likely to be protracted and extend over a long period-its
not about persuading Tspiras what to do-its about persuading most
Greeks-clearly this won’t happen on the basis of calling (or indeed
believing) that they’re dumb.

Importantly this is not an argument against criticism. Its an argument
for good criticism rather then facile criticism.