[Marxism] Polls that challenge the mantra that most Greeks want to stay in the Eurozone

Richard Fidler rfidler_8 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 14 08:21:37 MDT 2015

The Troika's dictate to Greece is fundamentally an assault on its national
sovereignty. The Greeks are a proud people. Their No on July 5 was (as
Tsipras himself said in the final pro-No rally) a vote for democracy and
sovereignty. How will the Greeks react now to this decisive proof not only
of the incompatibility of anti-austerity with eurozone membership, but of
the incompatibility of eurozone membership with national sovereignty?

This has been a defeat for Greece, not just for Syriza. But it is not the
end of the war. The votes in the Parliament tomorrow are important. But
let's see what kind of reaction these latest developments spark in the
working class and the wider population before we draw definitive conclusions
as to the current state of Greek public opinion. A lot of things may change
in a very short period. The Greek experience is a huge learning experience
for us all, including the Greeks themselves.

Meanwhile, internationally we need to manifest and build solidarity with the
Greeks, as never before, while they try to cope with the new conditions and
work out alternative courses of action.

Richard