[Marxism] Convert to the drachma–piece of cake. Right… | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jul 14 15:43:41 MDT 2015

On 7/14/15 5:29 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
> Or resign if they could not stomach the bestial reforms being demanded of them by the eurozone powers?

This is exactly what Tsipras should have done. He should have called a
press conference and announced his resignation in light of the
German-led coup. At least Allende went out with his machine gun blazing.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to be in Tsipras's shoes right now. He is going
to be cursed and vilified everywhere he goes. Nobody expected anything
out of PASOK or New Democracy but when you screw the people who believed
in you, that is another story entirely.

I think that there will be another left party in Greece but it will take
a while for the dust to settle. However, if it wins power and carries
out a Grexit, the problems will continue but in a different framework.
Europe would have been indifferent to a bourgeois Grexit but a radical
left Grexit would face all sorts of economic and political subversion.
As is generally the case with radical governments under siege, they try
to stamp out counter-revolutionary movements in the same way that
Lincoln muzzled the pro-Confederacy press in the north or the FSLN
censored La Prensa. After that happens, Human Rights Watch will jump all
over Greece just like it did with Venezuela.

The bottom line is that countries that break with capitalism have it
tough. It is even tougher when their economy is weak to begin with. If
Venezuela was endowed with bananas rather than oil, the Bolivarian
revolution might have been crushed long ago.