[Marxism] Convert to the Drachma – Piece of Cake. Right… | naked capitalism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 15 11:21:54 MDT 2015

On 7/15/15 12:58 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
> "The government and banks could work together to convert all bank
> deposits from euros into drachmas, either overnight or over a set
> period of time.

Okay, let's examine this. Let's say the Bank of Athens is told by the
government that the drachma was the new currency and that a hundred
drachma was equal to a euro. So you write an ad hoc program that for an
account with a thousand euros converts it to a 100,000 drachmas. Piece
of cake.

But that's not the problem. Instead i is one of finding occurrences in
programs that produce a euro sign (€) and replace it with a drachma (₯).
This is just off the top of my head. You can be that there are a host of
other conversion issues. I know this stuff probably better than I know
my Marxism.

Imagine if you got a check that had the wrong currency symbol. What
would you do with that?

Just to repeat, Nathan Tankus and Yves Smith are both FOR a Grexit but
they agree with me on the technical issues.