[Marxism] FT: Greek cleaners swept out of work as Tsipras’s defiance fades

Lüko Willms marxmail at lws-media.de
Fri Jul 17 11:30:00 MDT 2015

on Freitag, 17. Juli 2015 at 15:12, Louis Proyect quoted from the "Financial Times":

> The sacked Mr Alexiou, 34, was just one of thousands of former public
> sector employees who had put their faith in Syriza to get them back to work.

> “I wish Mr Tsipras had said no to Brussels,” said Mr Alexiou, sitting
> outside the ministry in central Athens, his hope of being rehired now in
> tatters. “I hope we can still trust him. He wants to help the workers,
> the poor people... but the creditors will not let him.”

  as long as working people expect their salvation from political leaders and from outside forces, so long nothing will change.

  Only when we start to really take our fate in our own hands will we be able to build ourselves a future free from want. The role a revolutionary leadership is not so solve the problems of the working class, but only to lead its struggles, to organize struggles for practical solutions for practical problems which pose the question of which class has the political power in its hand. This applies even more to a revolutionary leadership which had been swept into government by an electoral victory.

  A defining moment in the Greek crisis was the closure of the state owned TV station ERT by the previous government. It there had really been a revolutionary situation, the workers who actually operate the transmission system and who turn the switches to ON or OFF would have refused to abide by the governments order. They didn't, and I dont know of any party leader who had called them to do so.

  As the French sung in The Internationale

  "Il n'est pas de sauveurs suprêmes
   Ni Dieu, ni César, ni tribun
   Producteurs, sauvons-nous nous-mêmes
   Décrétons le salut commun"

  or its European English translation:

  "No saviour from on high delivers,
   No faith have we in prince or peer.
   Our own right hand the chains must shiver,
   Chains of hatred, greed and fear."

   And, ceterum censeo, one of the very first intiatives of a workers party in government in today's Greece where 25% are unemployed, would be to launch a big program of public works. Of putting the banks together into one national bank to centralise the liquid capital for the common projects, with all for the good of all, as José Martí said: "Con todos por el bien de todos."

Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany