[Marxism] Moderator's note

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jul 18 14:13:58 MDT 2015

On 7/18/15 4:00 PM, Andrew Pollack wrote:
> You're booting Jim for doing class analysis?
> That's fucked up.
> To be precise, that's Stalinism.

No, it's not. This is not a party. I don't collect dues or ask people to
sell a stupid newspaper at plant gates 6am in the morning.

It is a mailing list that I have the right to edit, to create boundaries
around just like any other publication, print or electronic. I don't
tend to remove people from the list unless I decide that their purpose
here is only to do "class analysis" as you put it. I had 11 years of
this kind of "class analysis" in the Trotskyist movement and that was
enough for me. If anybody wants to set up a mailing list where you can
blather on about the petty-bourgeoisie, contact me privately and I'll
help you get started.

This list has been around for 17 years and has over 1500 subscribers. If
there's one thing I've learned over the years, it is that is not the
place to do Leon Trotsky imitations. Here's a reminder from the Marxmail
website subscription page for anybody tempted to repeat the
Cannon-Shachtman debate:

MODERATION PRINCIPLES: The Marxism mailing list is extremely permissive.
There are a couple of things that are frowned upon strongly. If you come
to the list with the attitude that you are a true Bolshevik, who needs
to convert 'Mensheviks' to your beliefs, you will be unsubbed. Members
of self-declared vanguard parties who can adjust to the tolerant
atmosphere of the list are more than welcome, since they usually bring
with them years of Marxist study and political experience.