[Marxism] Independent: Tsipras shows his Machiavellian streak

Shalva Eliava shalva.eliava at outlook.com
Tue Jul 21 21:31:54 MDT 2015

Perhaps I am hopelessly naive, but I still hold out hope for young master Tsipras. I realize that he may be motivated now more by the desire to cling to power at any cost than to lead a transformative movement that liberates his suffering people's from the jackboot of German mercantilism, but nevertheless I feel as though if he was going to completely sell out he would have had the opportunity to do so years ago. He is still surrounded by a lot of people who will keep pushing him. Who knows, he and Tsakalatos may also be playing for time and trying to stabilize the situation a bit more before taking more decisive actions.

And if all else fails, the objective conditions in Greece and the other so-called PIIGS will continue to call forth radical challenges. Everyone keeps saying that these defeats and betrayals will rebound to the radical right in Greece, but I doubt that. I think the left in Greece will continue to hold ideological hegemony. Reading about the solidarity networks and the way ordinary Greeks have gone out of their way to help the endless stream of refugees fleeing the aftermath of imperial carnage (like in that article I posted today about Lesvos) leaves me with a sense of hope for another day of struggle there...