[Marxism] In defense of Counterpunch | Louis Proyect

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 24 15:47:02 MDT 2015

Louis Proyect said (in part):

On June 25th a guest post by Amith Gupta appeared on my blog criticizing Jewish Voice for Peace’s decision to terminate relations with Alison Weir, a supporter of Palestinian rights because of her appearances on the radio show of Clay Douglas, a reactionary racist according to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).

Since their objection is not so much about what she said in the interview but about her mere appearance on the show, it begs the question about her views. Are you to judge someone by the venue they appear on or write for? I ask because I have now been Weired, to coin a term.

* * * * *

Ken Hiebert replies:
For whatever reason (perhaps lack of computer skills on my part) I could not comment on the CP site, so I am commenting here.

 "...Clay Douglas, a reactionary racist according to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC)."
Does the qualifying phrase "according to the Southern Poverty Law Center..." mean that you want to look into the question for yourself and not simply accept the statement of the SPLC?  You have every right to make your own judgement.  When you have had a chance to do that, I look forward to your characterization of Clay Douglas.  In the meantime, the statement of the US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation offers some useful information.
http://www.endtheoccupation.org/article.php?id=4510

Your second paragraph offers your reading of the JVP statement.  My own reading is different.  As a courtesy to your readers, I suggest you provide a link to the JVP statement.

https://jewishvoiceforpeace.org/blog/jewish-voice-for-peace-statement-on-our-relationship-with-alison-weir