[Marxism] The Council for the National Interest

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 30 23:14:07 MDT 2015

In my original message I said,
"In the recent exchange regarding Alison Weir I did not see reference to her involvement with The Council for the National Interest.  CNI is committed to the curious proposition that US foreign policy needs correction in the Middle East because it does not serve the national interest.  Elsewhere, presumably, the US is pursuing its own interests and that is as it should be."

A. R. G. replied by saying,  "Where does it say that?"  (His full message below.)

I included a link to the CNI site so people can judge for themselves.  I encourage those who are interested to go to that site.  http://www.councilforthenationalinterest.org/new/
Do you find even a whisper of complaint about US policy in Latin America, Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe?  I haven't. I think it would be fair to conclude that they are uncritical of US policy in these areas.  If they felt that US policy in those areas was not in the national interest, wouldn't they say so?
				ken h

A. R. G. writes:
> Elsewhere, presumably, the US is pursuing its own interests and that is
as it should be.

Where does it say that? Honestly, I'm sick of the Nancy Drew
let's-find-Nazis bullshit whenever there are peace activists that aren't
waving around their left credentials. CNI is an organization of mostly
diplomats and former governmental personnel like Abourezk and Ed Peck, of
course they'd talk about "American interests". So what?

Ed Peck is probably one of the most interesting people I know, I introduced
him at Bard College in 2010. He was on board the Gaza Flotilla. As the
former ambassador to Iraq he was searing in his opposition to the Iraq
Invasion which killed a bunch of his friends and colleagues, so it's quite
obvious why he and others in his unique position would want to tar and
feather the neocons and the Zionist lobby. He was also in the CIA,
apparently. Quite frankly condemning people like him makes about as much
sense as condemning Snowden for making the decision to become a Booz Allen
contractor or condemning veterans who become peace activists for having
joined the military.

The "national interest" rhetoric is also quite normal. How is it different
from emphasizing that we need "money for jobs and education (i.e.
domestically), not for war and occupation," or saying "Bring our Troops
home," or any of the other nationalist rhetoric that dominates peace
activism in any given country?

I think CNI is a great organization and this is much ado about nothing.