[Marxism] Fwd: Too much profit, not too little? | Michael Roberts Blog

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 8 06:34:24 MST 2015

Most years I attend the London conference of the Historical Materialism
journal.  This brings together academics and others to present papers
and discuss issues from a generally Marxist viewpoint.  This year I
presented a paper on whether rising inequality causes crises under
capitalism (Does inequality causes crises).  My session was well
attended and the audience included many of the small band of Marxist
economist s around at the moment.

The gist of what I said was this.  Rising inequality of income and
wealth in the major economies has become a popular thesis among both
mainstream and heterodox economists.  The thesis is founded on the
arguments that wages as a share of GDP have been falling in the major
economies. This creates a gap between demand and supply, or a tendency
to underconsumption.  That gap was filled by an explosion of debt,
particularly household debt.  It is also encouraged financial
institutions to engage in riskier financial investments that exposed
them to eventual disaster.  The credit boom fuelled a housing bubble but
eventually that burst and the house of cards came tumbling down.  QED?

full:
https://thenextrecession.wordpress.com/2015/11/08/too-much-profit-not-too-little/