[Marxism] FDR cared more about Polish horses than Polish Jews

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Nov 19 12:40:05 MST 2015

Stowing himself on a ship, Karski reached London where he had an
interview with the foreign secretary Anthony Eden, the first of many top
officials to effectively ignore his account of the Nazis’ systematic
effort to exterminate European Jewry. The very enormity of Karski’s
report paradoxically worked against him being believed, and paralysed
any action against the killings.

Logistically unable to reach Poland, preoccupied with fighting the war
on many fronts, and unwilling to believe even the Nazis capable of such
bestiality, the Allies put the Holocaust on the back burner.

When Karski took his tale across the Atlantic, the story was the same.
President Roosevelt heard him out, then asked about the condition of
horses in Poland. Another high-ranking official, Felix Frankfurter,
though Jewish himself, told Karski: “I’m not calling you a liar. It’s
just that I have difficulty in believing you.” In desperate frustration
Karski wrote this book to record in searing detail what he had seen with
his own eyes.

full:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/8460682/Story-of-a-Secret-State-by-Jan-Karski-review.html