[Marxism] Saddam Hussein's former officers in ISIS are into Salafism as well

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 23 05:44:03 MST 2015

Jason Burke: I was in Iraq in the 90s on a number of occasions and the
vision from outside was of the secular Baathist state of Saddam Hussein.
Whereas he had already by the mid-90s worked out that the broad shifts
in the rest of the Arab world were towards a much more religious posture
— culturally, politically, otherwise — and he was tacking very much that
way.

I don’t think for a moment that he himself was in any way pious, but he
launched a “faith campaign” as he called it. He talked about building
the biggest mosque in the world. There was some huge construction under
way in Baghdad that I used to go and look at. He talked about writing
the Quran in his own blood. There was lots of religious programming on
the TV.

http://warincontext.org/2015/11/22/roots-of-isis-go-deeper-than-the-2003-invasion-of-iraq/