[Marxism] Fwd: Telling the Truth About ISIS and Raqqa - The New Yorker

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 24 05:54:48 MST 2015

“Daily life is twenty-four-seven warplanes over your head,” another
member said. “People now feel more afraid about the idea that all over
the world they want to bomb this small city. People are afraid. The city
of Kubani is completely destroyed. The people of Raqqa don’t want that.
We love our city. The West says, ‘Let’s get the people out and bomb
ISIS.’ They can’t. It’s a big prison. Women under forty-five can’t leave
without special permission. It’s a tribal area, and females can’t leave
without men. ISIS uses the people of Raqqa as a human shield.”

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/telling-the-truth-about-isis-and-raqqa