[Marxism] The ongoing civil uprising in Syria

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 06:07:31 MST 2015

Just as most reportage of the Syrian uprising against the Assad
dictatorship in the imperialist media focuses on the role of "jihadists"
and presents a false picture of a largely "jihadist"-dominated armed
opposition in which democratic and secular armed rebels are marginal,
weak and "fractured" at best, if not non-existent; so likewise an
equally false picture is usually presented of the struggle being
entirely military, with the civil uprising that launched the revolution
in 2011 being allegedly long gone. In reality, the ongoing civil
uprising is at the base of the Free Syrian Army and other armed groups
that genuinely arose from the grassroots of the Syrian uprising and
their connection remains vital to understanding the situation.

Without time to write an article on this very important issue, I simply
gathered here some links and snippets from a number of only very recent
articles on this issue. Obviously, what this means is that going back
into the archives, many more could be gathered, showing the lie that the
civil uprising does not exist. And these are only the articles - if I
were to present here every minor report of every demonstration going on
in Syria, we'd soon run out of bandwidth.

MK

Syrian activists are repairing the fabric of civil society, even as it
comes undone
Hania Mourtada 13 November 2015
https://www.opendemocracy.net/arab-awakening/hania-mourtada-penny-green/syrian-activists-repairing-fabric-of-civil-society-even-as-it-comes-undone
Syria has seen the emergence of a powerful culture of resistance, from
subversive graffiti to makeshift hospitals, which continues to operate
despite the violent and politically fractured terrain.

The power of the state has already been contested, and we’ve seen the
emergence of a powerful culture of resistance which continues to operate
despite the violent and politically fractured terrain. When the uprising
erupted, political truth-telling emerged out of the shadows and boldly
re-entered the public sphere. People who once operated in underground
meetings are now establishing organisations in broad daylight. In every
town or village that fell out of Assad’s control, small civil society
groups are working tirelessly to lay the foundations for democracy,
justice and a pluralistic society.
Young people, in particular, are determined to show the world that they
can build solid institutions from scratch and reinstate order in
opposition-controlled towns. Centres concerned with women’s rights and
women’s well-being have opened their doors, offering language courses to
illiterate women and useful marketable skills to the young. Subversive
graffiti, revolutionary pamphlets, magazines and radio stations, groups
offering psycho-social support and makeshift hospitals are all
initiatives made possible by Syria’s new and burgeoning civil society.
Syrians are experimenting with what might be made possible. Areas that
the regime has lost are filled to the brim with possibilities.

Total collapse of state services in certain provinces has paved the way
for experimenting with self-governance. In those areas, civil society is
not just protesting against the regime, it is also resisting radical
Islamists, the corruption of local militias and ISIS. This new culture
of resistance and political truth-telling cannot now be eradicated
unless a large-scale massacre permanently wipes it out of existence. And
this may very well be what Assad is striving for with his unguided
indiscriminate bombs.

Full:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/arab-awakening/hania-mourtada-penny-green/syrian-activists-repairing-fabric-of-civil-society-even-as-it-comes-undone

With Authorities Gone Local Councils Take Charge in Syria
http://www.voanews.com/content/with-authorities-gone-local-councils-take-charge-in-syria/3052990.html

FILE - Men transport a casualty after what activists said were
airstrikes by forces loyal to Syria's President Bashar al-Assad on a
busy marketplace in Douma, near Damascus, Syria, Aug. 12, 2015.

Jamie Dettmer
November 11, 2015 7:33 AM
GAZIANTEP, TURKEY—
In rebel-controlled parts of war-torn Syria, where the forces of
President Bashar al-Assad have been expelled, a new breed of local
councilors has emerged, administering what relief they can and striving
to provide civilians with basic services.
Across parts of Syria, 416 local councils are now functioning in towns
and villages and are under the control of neither the Assad regime or
Islamic State extremists.
In some towns, council officials have been elected in rudimentary-run
polls.
For the councils to keep on running, they have to navigate complex
politics and negotiate with armed groups, and they are always short of
funds. Their work amid Russian and Syrian airstrikes and skirmishes on
the ground often leads them to defy Islamist and other rebel militias
who want to control civilian as well as military affairs

Full:
http://www.voanews.com/content/with-authorities-gone-local-councils-take-charge-in-syria/3052990.html

Why is Russia bombing my town?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-is-russia-bombing-my-town/2015/11/06/e1084ca0-8274-11e5-9afb-0c971f713d0c_story.html

By Raed Fares November 6 at 8:27 PM

KAFRANBEL, Syria

Kafranbel residents have worked hard to advance women’s rights since
Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad’s forces left the town three years ago.
We have established centers to teach women skills such as reading,
computing, emergency care and civil activism. We have children’s centers
that give our youths some relief from war and take them off the streets,
where extremists could reach them. We even have a radio channel, called
Radio Fresh, that reaches many thousands of people and broadcasts a
popular program stressing that Islam is a religion of love and peace.
Yes, we still have problems with extremism here, even after kicking out
the Islamic State. Unknown attackers planted a bomb next to my car last
fall. In January, Jabhat al-Nusra, the Syrian branch of al-Qaeda,
attacked our radio offices and the Kafranbel Women’s Center. Jabhat
al-Nusra militants also arrested and beat me in December, but they could
find nothing to charge me with and they had to let me go. Extremists
arrested the director of the women’s center in April, but we were also
able to free him. Despite the difficulties, civil society remains strong
in and around Kafranbel.
If civil activism in Kafranbel declines, though, I will blame Russia.
One reason for our thriving civil society is that we are being defended
by Free Syrian Army fighters who grew up in the town and are firmly
committed to democracy. These fighters, who have received U.S.
assistance, serve as a check on any extremist groups that try to cause
trouble. Russia is bombing the pro-democracy fighters of Kafranbel most
heavily, almost as if it wants the extremists to grow stronger. For this
reason, Russia has emerged as an enemy of civil society here. Local
activists have taken the rare steps of burning a Russian flag and
protesting alongside local Free Syrian Army fighters to highlight this
point.

Full:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-is-russia-bombing-my-town/2015/11/06/e1084ca0-8274-11e5-9afb-0c971f713d0c_story.html

Going Home: An Interview with Tarif al-Sayyed Issa
http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=61724

Posted by: Aron Lund Thursday, October 22, 2015 1 Print Page

(report from post-liberation Idlib city - which the imperialist media
and the imperial left usually claim is "run by the Nusra Front or some
such lie)

What has your role been in Idlib since the army was driven out?

I left Faylaq al-Sham [the rebel brigade he was a member of which was
part of the Jaysh al-Fatah coalition which liberated Idlib - MK] once
Idlib was liberated. Others continued on toward Jisr al-Shughour and
other towns, but I stayed in Idlib and returned to my humanitarian work.
There was a lot to do. We had to quickly get aid into the city, set up
an administration, and try to activate civil society.
During Ramadan, we prepared 7,000 meals and handed out thousands of food
baskets. We distributed seven tons of dates in some of the poorer
neighborhoods.

When you say we, who do you mean?

I am still employed by Sanabel al-Kheir, the aid group we created a few
years ago. I am part of its five-person steering committee. As a member
of Sanabel, I work on the ground with several big aid organizations.
They include the Ataa Relief and Development Association, which is a
Syrian charity registered in Turkey, the White Hands, which is also
based in Turkey, the IHH, which is a large Turkish charity, and the Aid
Coordination Unit, which is part of the National Coalition and is backed
by the Western countries.
Among the other aid groups active in Idlib, there is one named Violet
and an Irish one called Goal. These organizations have all been approved
to work in the city and we trust them. The armed groups have no real
humanitarian work of their own. Some of them claim to run their own aid
operations, but it’s really the aid groups that do all the work.

So far, the armed groups have not interefered with the humanitarian
work. The Fath Army leadership has made it clear to them that this could
lead to the international aid groups pulling out. It is a sensitive
situation since the Nusra Front is active in the area and it is linked
to al-Qaeda, while the population depends on donations from nations at
war with al-Qaeda. There was an incident early on when some members of
the Nusra Front interfered by trying to control the distribution of
flour, but this was stopped immediately. After that, the Fath Army
decreed that the armed units cannot be involved with the aid work.

Are you also politically active?

I am still part of the Muslim Brotherhood, of course. In the
Brotherhood, we have a committee for each Syrian province and I am one
of the members of the Idlib committee.
Part of my job now, as I see it, is to convince people of the need for a
civilian leadership. I go around mosques and other places, meeting
people and trying to explain to them that the country will never get up
on its feet again without a strong civil society. I have met with all
the workers’ unions in Idlib, with the professional associations, and so
on.

Full: http://carnegieendowment.org/syriaincrisis/?fa=61724

The self government revolution thats happening under the radar in Syria
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-self-government-revolution-thats-happening-under-the-radar-in-syria/2015/07/26/05cffade-313e-11e5-8353-1215475949f4_story.html
Comments 33

By Frederic C. Hof July 26
With Iran circling the wagons around an ever-shrinking Syrian statelet
nominally headed by Bashar al-Assad, a key question is coming into sharp
focus: Who might ultimately replace the ruling clan if Tehran cannot
keep its clients afloat? The answer is both complex and hopeful:
Self-government at local levels is taking root in Syria and forms the
basis for what should come next.
One of the few uplifting experiences to be had in any Syrian context
these days is to meet with young Syrian activists, as I recently did in
Gaziantep, Turkey. A young lawyer said something striking: “This is not
just a revolution against Bashar al-Assad. It is a revolution for
self-government. Replacing Bashar with someone else issuing decrees from
Damascus — even someone much better than Bashar — is not acceptable.”

There are today hundreds of local councils throughout non-Assad parts of
Syria. Some operate clandestinely in areas overrun by the so-called
Islamic State. Some operate in areas where the Assad regime — with Iran’s
full support — unloads helicopter-borne “barrel bombs” onto schools,
hospitals and mosques. Some operate in neighborhoods subjected to
Iranian-facilitated starvation sieges. These local councils are
supported by a vast network of civil society organizations — the kinds
of voluntary professional associations that undergird Western
democracies. All of this is new to Syria. It is the essence of the
Syrian Revolution.
CONTENT FROM Ryder Leave supply chain management to the experts
Outsourcing supply chain roles requires active business management and
engagement. By Ryder

This combination of local councils and civil society organizations is a
cocktail of bottom-up, localized efforts. The women and men risking all
for their neighbors are heroes. Yet these heroes are literally unsung.
Everyone in Syria knows of Assad and his rapacious family. Many in Syria
know the names of exiled opposition figures and leaders of armed groups
inside the country. Yet those who represent Syria’s future political
elite are largely unknown. Getting these battle-tested leaders into
Syria’s national political mainstream is essential

Full:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-self-government-revolution-thats-happening-under-the-radar-in-syria/2015/07/26/05cffade-313e-11e5-8353-1215475949f4_story.html

WOMEN KEY to Syrian Future RAED FARES plus other CIVIL STRUGGLE stuff
and who RUSSIA is BOMBING
http://souriahouria.com/women-key-to-syrian-future-qa-with-raed-fares/?fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message

By Redacteur_ST
« Women have the most critical role in rebuilding Syria and raising the
next generation of Syrians, » said Raed Fares, a community leader in
Idlib whose plethora of projects aim to strengthen Syrian civil society
through a combination of awareness, education and inclusivity

Syria Deeply: Aside from the continuation of your weekly protests in
Kafranbel, what other kinds of community projects do you have going on
at the moment?
Well, yes, our weekly protests are ongoing, but their number has
decreased a great deal. People are afraid of large gatherings, which
have been, and are, targeted by airstrikes. But we have many other
projects.
The biggest project we have going is our radio station, called Radio
Fresh FM. We broadcast 24 hours a day with different kinds of
programming – news updates, women’s programming, children’s shows,
breaking news updates and warnings about nearby airstrikes or incoming
airstrikes. We warn civilians when there are regime or Russian
helicopters flying in the sky. We let people know which direction they’re
headed. The station is actually one of the most listened to channels in
all of Syria. We have more than 400,000 returning listeners – which is a
huge number.
The radio also has a few subsidiary projects. There are three affiliated
magazines and a training center for media activists, journalists and
presenters – all of which is facilitated under the auspices of the
radio.
We also have a women’s division that is led by Ghalia Rahal, whom
Reuters recently presented with an award for courageous journalism. She
is now running seven women’s centers across the south of Idlib that
provide vocational training, education, language and computer classes,
etc. The point of these centers is to get women out of the home and into
public life, to get them more actively engaged.
Women have the most critical role in rebuilding Syria and raising the
next generation of Syrians – that’s the idea behind the project.
We also have educational projects aimed at getting kids more involved in
their schools and promoting the importance of psychosocial therapy.
We built a small soccer field in Kafranbel – kids are playing on it from
sunup to sundown. When they’re playing, everyone is screaming and
yelling – it’s the one time of the day they can’t hear the roar of the
jets overhead, or gunfire nearby.
These are all projects focused on awareness, but we also have projects
focused on the provision of services. We brought running water back to
Kafranbel and the surrounding villages. The goal with these projects is
to provide people in serious need with the services they simply aren’t
getting, in addition to building the credibility of alternative
institutions so that people are more willing to work with us on and in
our other projects.
Syria Deeply: So what’s your goal in facilitating all these projects?
Raed Fares: The goal is to build a homeland. Everybody knows that we
live on a farm owned by Assad’s family. Our goal is to destroy that farm
and build a homeland in which Syrians can truly live.

Full:
http://souriahouria.com/women-key-to-syrian-future-qa-with-raed-fares/?fb_ref=Default&fb_source=message

Interview with Joseph Daher On the Syrian Democratic and Revolutionary
Opposition
https://syriafreedomforever.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/interview-with-radio-zamaneh-on-the-syrian-democratic-and-revolutionary-opposition/

Posted on November 17, 2015

Nevertheless, many individuals and small groups, although very much
weakened, exist in some areas among local coordination popular groups.
Pockets of hope and resistance still exist in Syria and are composed of
various democratic and progressive groups and movements opposing all
sides of the counter-revolution, the Assad regime and Islamic
fundamentalist groups. They are the ones still maintaining the dreams of
the beginning of the revolution and its objectives: democracy, social
justice, equality and no to sectarianism. They can be found in Aleppo,
Rural Aleppo, Idlib and Rural Idlib, in Rural Damascus, etc… You can
find many examples on my blog Syria Freedom Forever of popular
resistance.[3]
The revolutionaries in these areas organise through popular councils at
the levels of villages, neighbourhoods and regions. The popular councils
have actually been the true spearheads of the movement that mobilized
the people for the protests and organisation of daily life in areas
where the regime disappeared.  The regions liberated from the regime
developed forms of self-organisation based on the organization of the
masses. Youth and other form of coalitions also exist in Syria with
varying types of activities.
Last Summer, protests were organised in the rural areas around Aleppo,
Damascus and elsewhere like in the city of Idlib.  In the small town of
Al-Atarib in rural Aleppo, held by the Al Qaeda linked Jabhat al-Nusra
there have been several demonstrations against its authoritarian
practices. Thousands of people marched in the town of Saqba, in rural
Damascus, for the aims of the Syrian revolution on 7 August 2015. A week
later a group of women there protested for release of political
prisoners held by the Army of Islam organization. They have been
protesting for the past few months. Dozens held a sit-in at the office
of the local council of Douma near Damascus in July after a
councilperson was abducted.[4]  In the end of June, A demonstration was
organized in the city of Idlib after the Friday prayer and demanded that
the city’s administration hand over to the people, the private military
headquarters of Jaysh al-Fatah led by Jabhat al-Nusra outside the
city.[5]
On November 10, 2015, civil disobedience actions were organised by
activists protesting against the kidnappings of revolutionaries by
Jabhat Al-Nusra in the neighborhoods of Aleppo. On October 18, 2015, a
campaign of solidarity of revolutionaries in Douma was organised with
the Palestinian People and the Intifada. In October 6, 2015, a
demonstration was organised by the revolutionaries in Aleppo against
Jabhat Al-Nusra and demanded that it exit Aleppo. In September 25, 2015,
Kurds, ‪‎Arabs, ‪‎Assyrians & ‪Turkmen marched against IS and Assad
crimes in the neighbourhood of Sheikh Maqsoud in ‪Aleppo.
Last Summer (2015) in the province of Suwayda, mostly inhabited by the
Druze community, various popular protests were organized against the
regime’s policies and lack of services. Demonstrations and protests
continued following the assassination of Sheikh Wahid Bal’ous, who is a
Druze Sheikh who defended them.   Bal’ous who was known for his
opposition to the Syrian regime and to the Islamic fundamentalist
forces. Demonstrators protested in front of several regime buildings and
smashed a statue of the former Syrian regime dictator Hafez al-Assad.
Sheikh Wahid Bal’ous was a very popular figure among the Druze
population and was leading a group called “Sheikhs of dignity”, which
was committed to protecting the Druze in the province and was also
fighting the Islamic State (IS) and Jabhat Al-Nusra. Sheikh Wahid Bal’ous
was also opposed to the Syrian army’s recruiting of men originating from
Suwayda, to be sent to fight outside the province.
Regarding the three cantons of Rojava, many interesting things are
occurring on many aspects (women’s rights, minority participation,
secular institutions, etc…), especially in a war situation. These
experiences of autonomy are moreover positive for a Kurdish nation
oppressed for decades, especially as I support the self determination of
the Kurdish people in Syria and elsewhere.

Full:
https://syriafreedomforever.wordpress.com/2015/11/17/interview-with-radio-zamaneh-on-the-syrian-democratic-and-revolutionary-opposition

And this, on how important the physical destruction of all such
alternative centres of power and authority by the Assad regime's years
of aerial slaughter has been to the survival of the regime:
The Assad Regimes Hold on the Syrian State
Kheder Khaddour
Paper July 8, 2015
http://carnegie-mec.org/2015/07/08/assad-regime-s-hold-on-syrian-state/id3k