[Marxism] Fwd: Syria Solidarity UK: Why we are not supporting today’s Stop the War demonstration

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 28 13:34:21 MST 2015

On 11/28/15 3:29 PM, Lüko Willms via Marxism wrote:
>> >http://www.syriauk.org/2015/11/why-we-are-not-supporting-todays-stop.html
>   The site can't be reached (at the moment).

Why we are not supporting today’s Stop the War demonstration
Syria Solidarity UK and Stop the War have very different concerns
regarding Syria: Syria Solidarity is concerned with ending the suffering
of Syrians under the Assad dictatorship; Stop the War with opposing any
UK military involvement regardless of consequences for Syrians.

We oppose the British government’s proposal to merely mimic the American
ISIS-only counter-terrorism war; not only do we believe it is immoral to
fly missions in Syria against ISIS while leaving the even greater
killer, Assad, free to bomb civilians en masse, we also believe that any
war against ISIS that doesn’t put the needs of the Syrian people first
will be a failure that can only prolong their suffering.

We do call for action to protect civilians in Syria, including limited
military action to enforce a no-bombing zone.

Stop the War similarly oppose British government proposals to bomb ISIS,
but not because they would leave Assad alone; for Stop the War also
oppose any action against Assad. This puts Stop the War against Syrians
who are being bombed by Assad: it puts them not just against Syrian
revolutionaries but also against Syrian doctors, against Syrian White
Helmets rescue volunteers, and against Syrian civil society activists,
all of whom call for international action to stop Assad’s bombs.

This is why Stop the War don’t want to listen to Syrians.

That is why we do not support their demonstration today.

  • WATCH: Muzna of Syria Solidarity UK and Diane Abbott MP debate Stop
the War Coalition’s silencing of Syrians

  • READ: A letter to David Cameron from Syrians in Britain

DON’T BOMB SYRIA?

If Stop the War’s slogan “Don’t bomb Syria” is to have any meaning, let
them demand the end of the regime whose bombs have killed so many.

If Stop the War oppose imperialism let them demonstrate their sincerity
outside the Russian Embassy. Let them demonstrate with placards calling
for Russia to stop bombing Syrian hospitals.

WHO IS KILLING CIVILIANS IN SYRIA?

The vast majority of violent deaths of civilians documented by the
Syrian Network for Human Rights since March 2011 have been attributed to
Assad’s forces. The following figures from SNHR’s report, The Main
Conflict Parties Who Are Killing Civilians in Syria, are for the period
from March 2011 to the end of October 2015.

Civilians killed from March 2011 to Oct. 2015
By Assad forces:	180,879	  95.96%
... armed opposition groups:	2,669	1.42%
... unidentified groups:	2,002	1.06%
... ISIS:	1,712	0.91%
... Kurdish self management forces:	379	0.2 %
... al-Nusra Front:	347	0.18%
... Russian forces:	263	0.14%
... International Coalition forces:	251	0.13%

The SNHR also release monthly reports. For October 2015 they documented
the following numbers of violent civilian deaths.

Syrian civilians killed in October 2015 alone
By Assad forces:	793
... armed opposition groups:	45
... unidentified groups:	50
... ISIS:	53
... Kurdish self management forces:  	10
... al-Nusra Front:	1
... Russian forces:	263
... International Coalition forces:	1

All reports can be found on the Syrian Network for Human Rights website:
http://sn4hr.org/