[Marxism] Fwd: We Like Our Syrians Dead: The British Left and David Cameron | AnotherCountry

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 30 07:16:04 MST 2015

Of the few supposedly cogent arguments that groups like StW coalition
have left, is the idea that Syria is just a mess. Full of warring sides
each in hoc to some imperialist power or another. The fact that groups
like the Free Syrian Army or the Local Coordination Committees have
accepted some funds from an America or Qatar is supposed to mean that
they are now the “proxies” of these countries; that they are brown
bodies with no agency of their own.

But this is utter rubbish. It always has been. During the Iranian
revolution no lesser thorn in America’s side than Ayatollah Khomeini was
in constant contact with the American embassy through Prime Minister
Bazargan. Indeed at one point in the Iran and Iraq war, a war that lined
up Iran against, more or less, the rest of the world, the Iranian regime
received a one off payment of aid from Israel, separate to the
Iran-Contra affair. Now, no one would say that either of these make the
Islamic Republic a “client” or a “proxy” of the West, would they?

full:
https://attheinlandsea.wordpress.com/2015/11/30/we-like-our-syrians-dead-the-british-left-and-david-cameron/