[Marxism] regarding Russian air strikes

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 1 13:34:35 MDT 2015

On 10/1/15 3:23 PM, Ron Jacobs wrote:
> We should be talking about the current situation, which is partially the
> result of the US decision to not support the progressive rebels of
> Gopal's article, but the socially reactionary ones.

Syria is a disaster. Bashar al-Assad sought to turn it into a sectarian
battleground and he largely succeeded. In a way, he developed a strategy
similar to the British and American's "emptying the ponds" so the fish
cannot swim. By making nearly all of Syria a living hell except the
Damascus enclave that is reminiscent of the "Green Zone" in occupied
Baghdad. he has gained time and leverage over the rebels but in the long
run he will be defeated. And then there will be something like Libya.

And as far as Libya is concerned, if you argue that American and Russian
intervention is necessary to prevent it from becoming a "disaster" like
Libya, you are out of your mind. Syria should only be blessed to look
like post-Gaddafi Libya.