[Marxism] Legacies of the Slave Past in the Post-Slave Present

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 2 14:25:32 MDT 2015

Today I had the very great pleasure to attend a couple of sessions at a
conference on slavery and capitalism held at Columbia. Yesterday it met
at the CUNY Grad Center.

It gave me the opportunity to meet FB friend Richard Drayton, who is
writing a book on the role of the Caribbean islands in the origins of
capitalism. I also met Sven Beckert, the author of "Empire of Cotton",
who gave a presentation on capitalism and slavery. During the discussion
period after his talk, Robin Blackburn and Eric Foner made very
substantive contributions. Here is overview of the conference:

http://heymancenter.org/events/legacies-of-british-slave-ownership/

Several years ago, Catherine Hall, Nick Draper, and Keith McClelland
launched a project at University College, London, on the “Legacies of
British Slave Ownership.” The project sought to document the impact of
slave ownership on the formation of modern Britain. Phase one involved
building a searchable, publicly accessible, database containing the
identity of all slave-owners in the British Caribbean, Mauritius, and
the Cape at the time of slave abolition in 1833. The recently published
book, Legacies of British Slave-Ownership: Colonial Slavery and the
Formation of Victorian Britain (2014), is a collaborative work based on
this phase. In phase two the researchers are now inquiring into the
structure and significance of slave ownership in the British Caribbean
between 1763 and 1833.

This is a timely and enormously instructive research project, with wide
implications for rethinking the present of past slaving and slave
societies. It is timely inasmuch as it converges with the re-emergence
of serious scholarly and public discussion (in the Caribbean, Brazil,
and the United States) about the long aftermaths of New World slavery in
terms of the question of the repair of that historical injustice. It is
instructive partly because it demonstrates the possibility of detailing
the scale of value placed on slaves at the time of abolition, but also
because, in excavating the pathways of capitalist financial interests in
slavery (both state and private) it points to possible ways of
articulating a contemporary counter-veiling reparatory claim—a material
claim about justice for the descendants of the enslaved.

---

I was told that the talks will soon be available online, which is great
news. Speaking from the heart, I am deeply gratified that this
reconnection with the Eric Williams/CLR James tradition is being made.