[Marxism] Capital vol 3

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 20:06:55 MDT 2015

I should add that not only was it put together by Engels from stuff Marx
wrote over a 20-year period, it could not have been written before vol 1
and 2 because it *brings together* the production and distribution systems
covered by those vols.

You couldn't have vol 3 unless Marx had already elaborated all the concepts
in vol 1 and 2.  You can't use a whole bunch of terms, staring with the
commodity itself, unless you have already worked out what they are and how
they work.

*Some* of what became vol 3 may well have been written before vol 1 was
published, but the working out of much of the material in vol 1 comes even
earlier - 1857-8 (what became the Grundrisse).

So, to use your logic, a chunk of vol 1 was written in 1857-8, therefore
preceding by five-six years the date you give for vol 3.

The real date for vol 3 doesn't end until 1894 as Engels spent 11 years
after Marx's death gathering together the 20 years of work - the vast
majority of that period coming *after* the publishing of vol 1 - that Marx
put into what became vol 3.

You're so dogmatic about Marx having to be wrong about LTRPF (or that it
isn't Marx's crisis theory) that you have got yourself in a bind re the
dates.

Phil