[Marxism] New book on 1916 Rebellion and its after-effects

Brian McKenna mckennab at umich.edu
Sat Oct 3 09:17:03 MDT 2015

Than You Philip.  I will order this book.

We can learn much from the Easter Rising. My grandfather, Edward McKenna,
fought the British during these years, was shot and had a price on his head
before his exile to America. US progressives can learn much by reading the
works of the Uprising's leader, James Connolly. See JC's Selected Political
Writings 1973 (eds. Owen Dudley Edwards & Bernard Ransom), London: Jonathan
Cape.

I remember visiting Ireland in 1990 and exiting the car at the site of
"Bloody Sunday" in Derry.  My great Aunt screamed bloody murder for me to
get back in the car, as the British soldiers quickly descended on me, guns
drawn and pointed at my face.  One was just a foot away with his weapon.
 "On the ground!"  I explained I was an American, and after some time was
released.  All I wanted to do was investigate the memorial.  My great Aunt
(a Republican through and through) was livid when I got back in the car,
"You could have been killed."

I have studied Irish history extensively, especially the strategies and
tactics of the 1916 fight.  I stand with James Connolly.

Thanks for this book.

In Solidarity,
Brian McKenna
2nd generation American, Dungiven, County Derry

--
Brian McKenna, Ph.D.
Department of Behavioral Sciences