[Marxism] Fwd: Is Syria's long war wearing down key Assad backer Hezbollah? - CSMonitor.com

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 5 07:07:51 MDT 2015

Hezbollah’s tight internal discipline weighs against such sentiment
being aired in public. But one fighter with more than a decade’s
experience admits that he wants to leave, having tired of watching his
friends die in Syria and angry at the corruption he says he sees around
him. Hezbollah once had an enviable reputation for financial probity,
but in recent years, as it swelled in size, it has been marred by
allegations of internal corruption.

“It’s not only me. There are people who want to quit who have had enough
of it,” the veteran fighter says, speaking on condition of anonymity. He
adds that he knew of some fighters who had returned from a tour in Syria
and immediately departed Lebanon, joining the stream of refugees heading
into Europe. “The Syrians have to fight for themselves. Why should I
have to go to Syria and fight?” he says. “They [Syrian refugees] come
over here with their wives and kids, and have more kids, and I’m over
there fighting for them?”

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2015/1004/Is-Syria-s-long-war-wearing-down-key-Assad-backer-Hezbollah